1. Open Gmail.
2. In the top-right, click the gear Settings.
3. Select Settings.
4. Scroll down to the Vacation responder section (stay in the "General" tab).
5. Select Vacation responder on.
6. Fill in the date range, subject, and message.
7. You can limit who can see your vacation response:
- Check the box next to Only send a response to people in my Contacts if you don't want everyone who emails you to know that you're away from your mail.
- If you use Google Apps, you'll also see an option to only send a response to people in your domain. If you check both of these boxes, only people who are in your contacts and your domain will receive the automatic response.
8. Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.